So… you want to join the fraternity?
1. Ask yourself – why do you want to join? What is it, that you search in Freemasonry? If you don’t know what you are looking for, the others won’t be able to help you find it.
You have to know right away – if you want to join because of making financial or any other material profit out of it – then you have knocked on the wrong door. Being a Freemason will not make you rich, will not automatically help you advance in your job, will not reveal to you hidden political secrets or treasures.
What will it do for you?
It will enrich you with knowledge, it will help you become a better person, it will motivate you to improve your own and the life of others. It will open the doors to a true and genuine brotherhood, friendship, trust. It will strengthen your moral values. Motto of many lodges is “Making good men better”.
2. To be one, ask one. You can not be invited to join masonry. In most jurisdictions this is strictly forbidden. A mason can talk to you about masonry, can tell you many things about the lodge, the history of the fraternity, the ideals… but he can not invite you to join. So if you are interested – you have to ask for yourself. It’s not something you should be worried about – most masons will be proud to be asked!
3. Make sure that your family agrees with your decision. If you are married, you must have the consent of the wife, or you won’t be able to join! Family, always comes first.
4. Choosing a lodge. If you have a close friend, colleague, relative who is a mason – it might be good for you to join his lodge, because you will have a familiar face and someone who will help you in the beginning. But, make sure that the lodge you will be joining is close to where you live (or work). There is no point in becoming a mason if you can’t attend lodge meetings.
If you don’t know any masons, the best way to proceed would be to contact us by e-mail. A member of the lodge will get in touch with you and arrange a meeting. We strongly recommend that you visit the lodge, before you make any decisions. That way you can meet the members and ask all the questions that you may have.
After that, if you feel that you found the right lodge for you – tell one of the members that you want to join and ask for an application. After that – he will guide you through the process.
Freemasonry does not solicit members. However, anyone should feel free to approach any Mason to seek further information about the Craft. If you are interested in joining, but do not know anyone who is a Mason, please contact us by e-mail and a member of Victoria Lodge will get in touch with you. Only men can apply for membership.
In order to become a member, one must meet the following qualifications:
- Mature age (21 years of age), with a good character and reputation
- Belief in the existence of a Supreme Being
- Have resided in Ontario for the previous 12 months
- Must be recommended by two members of the lodge
- He must be prepared to honour his country, uphold its laws and respect those in authority
Members of any religion, race and nationality are accepted.
Ready to get started? Contact Us today